Who we are
FRIENDS is the citizens’ advocate for Canadian culture and democracy, as expressed through the media.
FRIENDS is fully and completely people-powered. No corporate money. No government money. No foundations. Just dedicated Canadians giving an average of $15 per month.
FRIENDS is rapidly evolving from an organization best known for championing strong public broadcasting into an organization that is recognized for a broader defence of Canadian democracy and culture. We aspire to be the leading organization defending Canada’s sensibilities and independence from the likes of Facebook, Google, and Netflix, who would rather we just comply.
We want journalists and politicians to make our issues a higher priority, and we want to do that by getting ourselves, our issues, and the extent of public support for both, into the public discourse – especially the news, but also panel events, etc. In doing so, we aim increase brand and issue recognition, credibility, and public support.
What you bring
- A progressive outlook and a well-deserved reputation for personal and professional integrity
- Media experience, as either a reporter, editor, publicist, staffer, or consultant.
- A full rolodex of good journalism contacts
- The ability to craft clear, concise prose on short timelines
- Strong understanding and sensitivity to federal politics
- If not the ability to work fluently in French, then at least a firm grasp of the cultural differences between people and media in Quebec compared to the rest of Canada.
- Strong grasp of the dynamics of social media
What you’ll do
- Play an active role on our senior management team
- Actively cultivate and sustain relationships with journalists, and keep them informed about our work and the broader state of the issues we work on
- Get us and our opinions, research, campaigns, and issues as much exposure as possible with a particular focus on news coverage
- Turn us into a go-to source for comment on all issues related to digital media, not just public broadcasting
- Write and place op-eds
- Work with our team as we design campaigns, to keep the media implications front and centre
This is a full time position with competitive salary and benefits.
This position is open to candidates based in Toronto or Ottawa.
FRIENDS is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, especially those from presently or historically marginalized backgrounds.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter in a single PDF document, using the form below. Applications are open until August 14th 2020, 11:59pm Eastern Time.
We thank all candidates who apply in advance, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.