FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, former Governor General of Canada, has won the People’s Pick for CBC Chair hands down over seven other accomplished Canadians, garnering 32% of the 8,726 ballots cast.
The People’s Pick was sponsored by the watchdog group Friends of Canadian Broadcasting to highlight the need for reform of the antiquated practice of appointing all of the CBC’s leadership through political patronage. Online voting took place between April 26 to 28th.
“The CBC belongs to all Canadians and its leadership positions should be open to the best and brightest citizens, not just those on the government’s patronage pay-off list,” said Friends of Canadian Broadcasting spokesperson Ian Morrison.
Today is the deadline for responding to a notice of vacancy published by the federal government because the term of the current chair, Timothy Casgrain, expired earlier this month. Among other attributes, the notice of vacancy requires Casgrain’s replacement to have a good relationship with the Minister of Canadian Heritage.
Eight candidates were nominated by FRIENDS’ supporters to stand for the vote.
- Herménégilde Chiasson, noted Acadian poet and playwright and former Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick
- The Right Honourable Joe Clark, former Prime Minister of Canada
- Jocelyn Coté-O’Hara, telecom and high technology businessperson; Member of the Order of Canada
- Ujjal Dosanjh, former Premier of British Columbia
- John Doyle, Globe and Mail columnist
- Ivan Fecan, retired media executive with the CBC, as director of television programming and CTV, as CEO
- The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, former Governor General of Canada and journalist
- Mary Simon, National Inuit leader
“These accomplished Canadians might not be on the government’s appointments list, but they are only a small sample of the talent this country has to offer our national public broadcaster,” Morrison said.
For information: Jim Thompson 613-447-9592
Apr 30, 2012 — Letter: People’s Pick for CBC Chair
Letter to Prime Minister Stephen Harper with the results of the People's Pick for CBC Chair, an online vote sponsored by FRIENDS to underscore the need to end the practice of appointing CBC’s leadership through political patronage.
Full People's Pick results can be found at: www.friends.ca/peoplespick